Wednesday, November 11

#5: Less Time = More Stress

Apparently ASU wants to eliminate roughly 7-8 weeks out of the normal 15 weeks that are currently implemented.

WHAT?!
At least going by this article here

Now, I understand that it is supposed to cut time in about half  to make things quicker in order to finish college quicker; and have those that are taking short online courses not have to wait for the following semester to sign up.
There's just one thing I feel that is missing...
What about those students who aren't fully capable in keeping up with quick-paced classes? I'm sure we would all LOVE to finish university within 2-3 year span, but not all students can. With many who attend courses, online or in-person, time maybe already cut short due to other things in like work, children, or other possible handicaps that only a 15 week course can help a student plan out assignments, due dates, and still manage personal life such as working. There is a reason for personalized schedules when enrolling, so we as students aren't like this:

So... is it really necessary to have ALL classes be 7.5 weeks long?
I mean, I thought that what online course were for, right? For people who are ABLE to utilize their time (whether or not they work and/or have kids). However despite having the online courses, there's downsides, that the article had even briefly mentioned:
"[N]ot all academic subjects are best taught in an accelerated format." 
With that said -- especially with the knowledge of students that aren't fully capable of understanding a certain subject -- sometimes even 15 weeks isn't enough to retain the information needed for a student; while 7.5 weeks wouldn't be enough for classes that have labs and lectures (mostly for science courses). Or in my case, trying to get English papers done within 5-8 week span, while still putting in all the effort possible to get a reasonably decent score. Sometimes there's just not enough time for some to possibly end up going to class everyday.


Although the plus sides of cutting the time short with each semester: less time taken which means graduating sooner, and less waiting time between semesters to move forward in one's degree. Problem with it is there are too many attributes that go against the idea: certain classes need the length (eg. science and math), and students may need the lengthy semesters to keep their sanity. Perhaps a compromise of some sort can be done -- where some are already put in place: online courses and late start classes that run for about half a semester's worth. Maybe some test courses to view how well accelerated learning may or may not work with the short amount of time given.

All in all, from a personal stand point, no. I just don't see this working at least for myself since online classes would have me fail miserably, and with personal issues, the length of time during semesters gives me time to plan and do well in the end. I know I can't be the only one with this concept, if anything mix things up as well between 15 week courses and 7.5 weeks. Get the best of both worlds~



Comment below your thoughts on this idea!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post and completely agree with you. As a student, who works, has a family and has 3 eight week classes, I can say for sure that I do not have enough time in my schedule to fairly balance everything in my life. I think while some courses would be great to have compressed others should not ever be considered.

    ReplyDelete